Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog post #4

Before I started reading or watching any videos, I didn't have a very good grasp on what a podcast really was. After watching some very helpful videos and reading post, I finally understand the importance of it.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the classroom

My first video I watched about podcasting was called "The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom" by Joe Dale. This video was one of the most helpful to me because I realized just how much you can do with podcasting. You can upload the podcast to your Itunes, or have access to it through there, so if something came up and the student was to miss a day of school, they can easily have full access to what they did in class. If the teacher is not going to be there and he has prepared to not be there, he can create his podcast and it can be played so the students never have to miss a day of learning. This is just one way to use podcasts.

"Flat Stanley Podcast" This post showed a different way that podcast can be used. This first grade class read a book called Flat Stanley. After reading, they decided to do a project on what they read through podcast pretending where they would go, how they would get there, and how it felt being flattened. This was one of my favorite blogs I have read so far because the teacher really dug deep and thought of this instead of a simple assignment. I felt like this extended my learning even more on podcast are really understood why it is important to start in elementary school. I would have never of thought to do anything like this and when I was listening to it, I couldn't believe her students did this.

Listening-Comprehension Podcast

I also read Langwitches' post on using podcast to help with students hearing new vocabulary, even languages. A second grade class read a book Purim and as class, they individually read a sentence and shared it on the class blog so the parents could hear it. I like how they put it up so parents could see it because I believe having the parents involved helps the student and also the parents know what is going on. Their Jewish teacher then helped each of the students to come up with a sentence and they each said it on the podcasts. Sometimes students learn better with a visual, hands on, and this gave each of the students a better understanding of the language they were learning. Also, they got to hear each others sentence and it helped them also to hear other people say it and then they could learn it. With the students being able to have access to this at home, they can also work on it when they are not at school, which helps them to further their education. This was a very good example of how you can use a podcast and your students to benefit more from it.

What I Learned I learned so much from this assignment that will stay with me for when I start teaching. I never knew how important podcast were or what all you can do with them, and from this I have only learned a small portion. From uploading your podcast to your Itunes, to putting together a story, there is so much more, this is just the beginning. I can't wait to make my own podcast one day and hopefully I can inspire others as they have inspired me!

1 comment: